Voskuil's career high gives coach Pat Knight first winFeb 14, 2008 - 5:59 AM LUBBOCK, Texas (Ticker) -- Alan Voskuil's huge night gave Texas Tech coach Pat Knight his first career victory.
Voskuil scored a career-best 30 points and Martin Zeno added 16 as the Red Raiders snapped a two-game losing skid to top No. 22 Kansas State, 84-75, in a Big 12 Conference contest on Wednesday.
A junior sharpshooter, Voskuil had 19 of his points in the first half and finished 9-of-14 from the floor, including 5-of-6 from the arc - to go along with seven rebounds.
Since his father Bob Knight resigned on February 4, Pat had started his coaching career at 0-2 after losing at Baylor and Nebraska last week.
But in his first game as coach in front of the home crowd - and his father who was in a boxed seat - Knight's Red Raiders (13-10, 4-5 Big 12) scored the first six points of the game and led from start to finish. The win also knocks Kansas State out of sole possession of first place in the conference.
Leading by three points, Voskuil ignited a 9-0 run with a 3-pointer that gave the Red Raiders a 35-23 bulge, and Texas Tech held a 40-28 edge at intermission.
The Red Raiders started the second half strong and took their largest lead at 60-38 on Voskuil's fifth 3-pointer with 13:54 remaining.
However, Kansas State (17-6, 7-2) fought back with a 20-4 run - capped by a layup from freshman Michael Beasley - to cut the deficit to 64-58 with 8:31 left in the contest.
A 3-pointer by freshman Jacob Pullen pulled the Wildcats within 70-66 with 5:32 left to play, but a 7-2 run gave Texas Tech a 77-68 advantage with under 2:30 remaining.
The Wildcats were unable to get any closer than six the rest of the way as the Red Raiders made 5-of-6 free throws in the final minute.
Texas Tech shot 51 percent (27-of-53) from the floor and had 16 points off of 15 Wildcats turnovers.
Beasley had his fourth straight and 20th double-double of the season with 22 points and 15 rebounds, but shot only 6-of-20 from the floor.
Bill Walker had 27 points to lead Kansas State, which made just 4-of-17 shots from the arc. Pullen finished with 16 points off the bench.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KANSAS ST (22) 28 47 75
TEXAS TECH 40 44 84 FINAL
Feb 13 11:17 PM
- NCAA BB
(22) KANSAS ST 28
TEXAS TECH 40 HALFTIME
Feb 13 9:57 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech at a glance Oct 28
- Texas Tech aims for turnaround after 2 losing seasons Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Baylor rallies past Texas Tech Mar 7
- Texas Tech and Baylor meet in regular-season finale Mar 6
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1