Jakubowski lifts Bowling Green past Kent StateMar 1, 2008 - 10:39 PM BOWLING GREEN, Ohio (Ticker) -- Joe Jakubowski was a much different player against Kent State the second time around.
Jakubowski scored 21 points in an efficient performance as Bowling Green posted an 89-83 victory over the 24th-ranked Golden Flashes in a Mid-American Conference matchup Saturday.
A freshman guard, Jakubowski missed his only shot from the field and was held scoreless in a 63-49 loss at Kent State on January 12.
However, Jakubowski was much better in this one as the Falcons (13-14, 7-7 MAC East) won their second straight following a three-game losing streak and evened their conference record.
"Our coaches just told us to run our stuff," said Jakubowski, who handed out 12 assists. "It was determination. Obviously the openings were there, but I was more aggressive and looked for my shot. When I look for my shot there are more openings for my teammates."
After the Golden Flashes closed to 45-44 with just over 15 minutes remaining, Jakubowski keyed a 15-5 surge that rebuilt the lead to double digits by converting a three-point play and hitting a 3-pointer. His shot from the arc with 11:21 left capped the burst.
Jakubowski made 7-of-13 shots from the field, also hitting two of Bowling Green's 11 3-pointers.
Brian Moten was the main outside threat for the Falcons. The junior scored 18 of his 24 points in the second half while finishing 9-of-12 from the field, including 6-of-9 from the arc.
"All my 3-pointers should be attributed to my teammates," Moten said. "They put me in position where I could score the points."
Ranked for the first time in school history, Kent State (23-6, 11-3) never was able to find its rhythm in having a six-game winning streak stopped. It was coming off an impressive 65-57 victory at then-No. 20 Saint Mary's last Saturday.
Mike Scott scored 23 points, Al Fisher 20 and Chris Singletary 16 for the Golden Flashes, who were unable to overcome a 38-29 halftime deficit.
"We just never could get started," Kent State coach Jim Christian said. "We could never put consecutive stops together at the defensive end of the floor. They hit some tough shots and we did a bad job of guarding and an awful job of rebounding."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KENT ST (24) 29 54 83
BOWLING GREEN 38 51 89 FINAL
Mar 1 2:33 PM
- NCAA BB
(24) KENT ST 29
BOWLING GREEN 38 HALFTIME
Mar 1 1:17 PM
- Bowling Green fires men's hoops coach for conduct breach Apr 2
- Oubre shines as Kansas tops Kent St. Dec 30
- Kent State tangles with No. 13 Kansas Dec 30
- Jans named head coach at Bowling Green Mar 24
- Reports: Bowling Green to hire Wichita State's Jans Mar 23
- Bowling Green fires Orr Mar 11
- Balanced Badgers hammer Bowling Green Nov 22
- 12th-ranked Badgers set sights on Falcons Nov 21
- No. 20 Michigan State gets by Bowling Green Dec 19
- 20th-ranked Spartans hit the road to face Falcons Dec 18
- Michigan State holds off Bowling Green Dec 18
- Falcons fly into East Lansing seeking upset of 21st-ranked Spartans Dec 17