Brook Lopez powers Stanford over Texas TechDec 23, 2007 - 3:36 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- A layoff has not affected Brook Lopez.
Lopez scored 17 of his 19 points in the second half to rally No. 25 Stanford to a 62-61 victory over Texas Tech in the Red Raider Christmas Classic on Saturday.
The game was part of the Big 12-Pac 10 Hardwood Series, which the Cardinal (10-1) clinched for the Pac-10 with their sixth consecutive victory.
The 7-foot Lopez, who missed the first nine games of the season due to a suspension for academic reasons, scored 20 points in his season debut Wednesday - a 74-48 victory over Santa Clara.
Combining with his twin brother Robin to dominate the inside after the intermission, Brook Lopez also had a key block on Alan Voskuil with Stanford clinging to a 60-58 lead with 1:25 to play.
The difference in the game came underneath, where the Cardinal enjoyed a 38-24 advantage in points in the paint.
That helped offset an abysmal 1-for-9 effort from 3-point range and some shaky free-throw shooting by Stanford, which connected on just 62.5 percent (15-of-24) at the stripe.
Martin Zeno scored 14 points and Voskuil added 13 for Texas Tech (6-5), which blew a 10-point second-half lead in dropping its second consecutive game.
Freshman John Roberson open the second half with a 3-pointer to give the Red Raiders their largest lead at 36-26.
Brook Lopez scored 10 of the next 14 points for Stanford to trim the deficit to 43-40 with 11:51 to play.
The Cardinal finally went ahead, 52-51, on Mitch Johnson's 3-pointer with 6 1/2 minutes to go, while Zeno gave Texas Tech its last lead at 58-56 with 3:01 left.
Robin and Brook Lopez each hit a pair of free throws as the Cardinal iced the game at the line. Voskuil hit a 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds left for the final margin.
Taking advantage of Texas Tech's 6 1/2-minute drought without a field goal, Stanford jumped out to a 19-12 lead.
The Red Raiders stormed back with a 17-3 run of their own to take a 29-22 lead with just under three minutes to go en route to taking a 33-26 lead into halftime. Freshman D'Walyn Roberts had five points in the decisive spurt.
Stanford beat Texas Tech for the second straight season, having notched a 70-59 victory last season in San Jose, California.
- BIG 12/PAC-10 HARDWOOD SERIES
NCAA BB BIG 12/PAC-10 HARDWOOD SERIES
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (25) 26 36 62
TEXAS TECH 33 28 61 FINAL
Dec 22 6:30 PM
- BIG 12/PAC-10 HARDWOOD SERIES
NCAA BB (25) STANFORD 26
TEXAS TECH 33 HALFTIME
Dec 22 5:18 PM
- Chris Beard bolted UNLV to come 'home' to Texas Tech Apr 16
- Coach Chris Beard spurns UNLV for Texas Tech Apr 15
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Pickens helps Stanford beat Carroll College 83-38 Dec 28
- Pickens scores 20 in Stanford's 93-59 win over Buccaneers Nov 15
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13