Johnson, defense help Purdue snap skidDec 7, 2008 - 5:57 AM WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana (Ticker) -- Arkansas-Pine Bluff proved to be the perfect remedy for Purdue.
Sophomore JaJuan Johnson scored a career-high 20 points to help No. 10 Purdue get back on track with a 90-42 victory over winless Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday.
E'Twaun Moore had 15 points and six steals and Nemanja Calasan added 12 and 13 rebounds for the Boilermakers (6-2), who were coming off back-to-back defeats against Top 10 teams. Purdue lost to No.6 Oklahoma on November 28 before suffering a 76-60 loss at home to fourth-ranked Duke on Tuesday.
The Golden Lions were a much easier test for the Boilermakers, who forced 35 turnovers and held Arkansas-Pine Bluff to 23 percent (11-of-47) shooting.
Purdue scored the game's first 11 points and never looked back.
After missing its first seven shots, Arkansas-Pine Bluff got on the board with Tyree Glass' 3-pointer 7:28 into the contest. But Moore's 3-pointer capped a 9-0 burst as the Boilermakers went up 20-3 with 9:54 left in the half.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff never got within single digits and Purdue held a 44-23 bulge at intermission.
Keaton Grant scored five points during a 13-0 run early in the second half as the Boilermakers took a 63-29 lead with 11:38 remaining, ending any hope of a comeback.
The Golden Lions shot 16 percent (4-of-25) over the game's final 20 minutes and the Boilermakers held a 49-33 rebounding advantage. Purdue also forced 35 turnovers.
Glass scored 18 points to lead the Golden Lions (0-7), who have lost each game by an average of 32 points.
The margin of victory was the seventh-biggest in Purdue history, and the contest was the most lopsided triumph since the Boilermakers defeated Tampa, 106-50, on December 10, 1983.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARK PINE BLUFF 23 19 42
PURDUE (10) 44 46 90 FINAL
Dec 6 10:21 PM
- NCAA BB
ARK PINE BLUFF 23
(10) PURDUE 44 HALFTIME
Dec 6 9:09 PM
- Former Michigan guard formally joins Purdue program May 17
- Purdue's Edwards declares for NBA draft without agent Apr 5
- Purdue's Kendall Stephens plans to explore transferring Mar 31
- Boilermakers forward Caleb Swanigan plans to test NBA draft Mar 22
- One-hit wonder? Little Rock hopes to keep turnaround going Mar 16
- Hammons' turnaround helps put Purdue back on national map Mar 15
- Purdue's Swanigan out vs. Minnesota with ankle injury Jan 27
- IPFW coasts past Purdue North Central 126-95 Jan 2
- NCAA rules Purdue freshman Caleb Swanigan is eligible Oct 30
- Purdue at a glance Oct 27
- Boilermakers looking for big basketball results in 2015-16 Oct 27
- Cincinnati edges Purdue in OT thriller Mar 20