Clark, Louisville rebound against Indiana StateDec 6, 2008 - 11:09 PM LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (Ticker) -- Earl Clark and Louisville took out their frustration on hapless Indiana State.
Clark led four players in double figures with 16 points and 10 rebounds as the 11th-ranked Cardinals rolled to an 83-43 victory over the Sycamores on Saturday.
Terrence Williams had 12 points, eight rebounds and seven assists for Louisville, which rebounded from a stunning loss.
The Cardinals (3-1) began the season with their highest ranking in 21 years, but dropped eight spots following a 68-54 loss to Western Kentucky on Sunday.
The Cardinals were held to 27 percent shooting in that game.
"Coach (Rick Pitino) tells us he's still mad at us every day," said guard Edgar Sosa, who scored 10 points off the bench. "Western Kentucky took something away from us. We've got to play hard and get back to where we want to be."
A matchup with the winless Sycamores (0-6) helped the Cardinals get their groove back.
Louisville, which shot 50 percent (31-of-61), hit seven of its first 10 attempts and jumped out to a 21-3 lead after eight minutes.
"When you come off a loss, everybody is hungrier," Williams said. "Everybody wants a steal. Everybody wants to do their job. Everybody came out pumped up."
Clark hit 5-of-9 from the floor and scored 11 points, as the Cardinals carried a 50-17 lead into the locker room. Louisville held Indiana State to just 25 percent shooting in the first half and 28 percent (14-of-50) overall.
"I am real pleased," Pitino said. "But we still have a long way to go."
Jay Tunnell had nine points and six rebounds for the Sycamores, who connected on just 3-of-18 3-pointers and committed 23 turnovers.
"We did it with our pressure, halfcourt and fullcourt," Pitino said. "Indiana State isn't that bad."
"I thought we played on our heels a lot and we played without confidence," Indiana State coach Kevin McKenna said. "They stretched it early and turned up the heat and got more aggressive. That is what good pressing teams do."
- MARQUES MAYBIN CLASSIC
NCAA BB MARQUES MAYBIN CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
INDIANA ST 17 26 43
LOUISVILLE (11) 50 33 83 FINAL
Dec 6 3:55 PM
- MARQUES MAYBIN CLASSIC
NCAA BB INDIANA ST 17
(11) LOUISVILLE 50 HALFTIME
Dec 6 2:53 PM
- Louisville sophomore Onuaku to undergo heart procedure May 17
- Louisville students' lawsuit against escort is dismissed May 3
- Louisville announces more sanctions for men's basketball Apr 6
- Pitino elevates Johnson to Louisville associate head coach Mar 15
- Cardinals' Pitino says he saw nothing 'unusual' at dormitory Mar 15
- Pitino: Will use offseason to decide future with Louisville Mar 1
- Transfers Lewis, Lee relish time spent at No. 11 Louisville Feb 29
- Louisville's Mahmoud out for final 6 games with ankle injury Feb 15
- Pitino: Mathiang won't return this season after foot injury Feb 12
- Louisville's Pitino awaits NCAA interview about sex scandal Feb 9
- Louisville's Pitino: Fine schools, coaches for violations Feb 6
- Louisville men's basketball team coping with postseason ban Feb 6