Heytvelt leads Gonzaga past IndianaDec 6, 2008 - 11:03 PM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Josh Heytvelt scored 17 points as fifth-ranked Gonzaga remained unbeaten with a 70-54 victory over mistake-prone Indiana on Saturday in the Hall of Fame Showcase.
In the midst of a challenging stretch away from home, the Bulldogs (6-0) were playing for the first time since defeating then-No. 12 Tennessee in the championship game of the Old Spice Classic on Sunday. They had wins over inexperienced teams Oklahoma State and Maryland in that event.
Led by Heytvelt, the Tveteran Bulldogs had few problems with the young Hoosiers, who are still trying to find their way under new coach Tom Crean.
"We needed to experience how to win an ugly grinder, and we did that," Zags coach Mark Few said.
A 6-11 senior, Heytvelt did a majority of his damage around the basket as he made 6-of-12 shots. He also had a key three-point play with 4:40 remaining, which gave the Bulldogs a 60-49 cushion.
"Coming to a place to play that's a neutral court but it's so close to their home, that motivates you to play well," Heytvelt said.
Matt Bouldin and Jeremy Pargo added 13 points apiece for the Bulldogs, who held just a 29-24 lead at the half before pulling away in the second half.
Facing the more experienced and deeper Bulldogs, the Hoosiers were unable to handle the Bulldogs' full-court press and committed 25 turnovers.
Devan Dumas scored 15 points and Malik Story 14 for Indiana (4-4), which has endured all four its losses by double digits.
After scoring the first six points of the second half to open a double-digit lead, the Bulldogs led by at least seven thereafter.
"The key to a game, any game, is taking what the defense gives you," Crean said. "They're very, very long and very, very athletic. The bottom line is they wouldn't be that successful if they didn't play good defense."
The contest marked the first basketball game at Lucas Oil Stadium, home of the NFL's Indianapolis Colts.
- AT INDIANAPOLIS
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GONZAGA (5) 29 41 70
INDIANA 24 30 54 FINAL
Dec 6 3:41 PM
- AT INDIANAPOLIS
NCAA BB (5) GONZAGA 29
INDIANA 24 HALFTIME
Dec 6 2:31 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Coach Mark Few wants Gonzaga to keep chip on its shoulder Mar 23