Syracuse rebounds from loss, cruises by CanisiusDec 18, 2008 - 2:17 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Sophomore Rick Jackson scored a career-high 14 points and had eight rebounds and Paul Harris added 13 and 11 as No. 11 Syracuse cruised to an 82-60 victory over Canisius on Wednesday.
Arinze Onuaku and Jonny Flynn each scored 12 points for the Orange (10-1), who rebounded after suffering a last-second defeat to Cleveland State on Monday. Cedric Jackson banked in a heave from 60 feet away to give the Vikings a 72-69 victory.
The loss may have still been hanging over the heads of Syracuse, which struggled from the floor early on as Canisius kept the game close for most of the first half.
The Orange created a bit of separation late in the first half, using a 10-0 run to take a 41-31 lead with 1:47 left before the break. Syracuse held a 43-34 advantage at halftime.
Jackson scored the first two baskets of the second half as the Orange quickly extended their lead to 50-34 just over two minutes into the session.
Another 10-0 run helped Syracuse build the lead to 62-41 with 12:48 remaining and the Orange cruised to the finish.
The Orange shot 61 percent (14-of-23) in the second half, mostly from inside the perimeter. Syracuse finished 3-of-17 from the arc.
Frank Turner scored 18 points to lead the Golden Griffins (3-7), who have lost four straight contests.
Canisius connected on 32 percent (23-of-73) of its shots, including 4-of-22 3-pointers.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CANISIUS 34 26 60
SYRACUSE (11) 43 39 82 FINAL
Dec 17 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
(11) SYRACUSE 43 HALFTIME
Dec 17 7:52 PM
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26