Matthews lifts Marquette past PresbyterianDec 28, 2008 - 9:02 PM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Wesley Matthews scored 12 of his 21 points in the first half Sunday as No. 25 Marquette cruised to an 84-45 rout of Presbyterian.
Lazar Hayward contributed 22 points for the Golden Eagles (11-2), who hardly had to break a sweat in their final non-conference game before they open Big East play at Villanova on Thursday.
Matthews made two 3-pointers and scored eight points in under nine minutes as Marquette raced to a 16-4 advantage. Hayward also drained a shot from the arc.
A pair of free throws by Matthews with under five minutes left in the first half pushed the advantage to 33-15. The Golden Eagles held a 40-18 bulge at intermission.
While the Golden Eagles were efficient offensively, they were even better defensively in holding the Blue Hose to 28 percent (7-of-25) shooting in the opening 20 minutes.
The Golden Eagles led by as many as 41 points in the second half.
Al'Lonzo Coleman scored 13 points and Josh Johnson 11 for Presbyterian (5-8), which was facing a ranked team for a second time this season. The Blue Hose opened the season with an 80-49 loss at Duke.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PRESBYTERIAN 18 27 45
MARQUETTE (25) 40 44 84 FINAL
Dec 28 3:52 PM
- NCAA BB
(25) MARQUETTE 58 0:00 LEFT, 2ND HALF
Dec 28 3:24 PM
- NCAA BB
(25) MARQUETTE 40 HALFTIME
Dec 28 3:09 PM
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Marquette's Ellenson day to day with sprained left ankle Mar 2
- Marquette, freshman star Henry Ellenson, wrap up at home Feb 29
- Led by freshman Ellenson, young Marquette seeks Feb. push Feb 10
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- After road upset, young Marquette looks to improve at home Jan 8
- Wojciechowski gets 2-year extension at Marquette to 2022 Dec 29
- Murray free throws allow Presbyterian to top Piedmont, 69-65 Dec 19
- Fresh faces get in on Marquette-Wisconsin rivalry Dec 11
- Wojo readies Ellenson, touted Marquette freshmen for opener Nov 11
- Oh Henry: Ellenson highlights Marquette's big freshman class Nov 3