Butler takes down nemesis Wright StateJan 9, 2009 - 7:26 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Matt Howard led the way with 14 points and Gordon Hayward added 12 and 11 rebounds to lead No. 20 Butler past Wright State, 64-48, on Thursday.
Willie Veasley chipped in 11 points for the Bulldogs (13-1, 4-0 Horizon), who have won five straight.
Butler also gained some revenge for last season, when the Raiders (8-8, 2-3) handed the then-13th ranked Bulldogs their first loss of the campaign. The teams have split meetings each of the past three seasons.
This time, Butler used some tight defense to snap Wright State's six-game winning streak. Todd Brown scored 13 points to lead the Raiders, who shot just 33 percent (16-of-48) - including 5-of-19 from beyond the arc.
The Bulldogs were on fire at the start, opening a 34-14 lead after Hayward's 3-pointer with 3:29 left in the first half. Hayward scored nine points during the spurt, while Howard added seven and Veasley chipped in six.
Wright State closed out the half with a 7-0 run to make it 34-21 at the break. The Raiders shot 6-of-22 from the field in the first half.
"At the same time, we're not scoring. (Their) lead is building and (they're) playing with a lot of confidence," Wright State coach Brad Brownell told the Indianapolis Star. "That's a recipe for disaster against these guys."
Brown made a pair of 3-pointers during a 10-3 run that pulled the Raiders within 50-42 with 7:27 left. But Butler responded with a 9-0 burst over the next four minutes to put away the game.
The Bulldogs improved to 7-0 at Hinkle Fieldhouse, where they have won 27 of 28 against Horizon League opponents.
"We all knew they'd be good," Brownell said. "We didn't know they'd be able to adjust quite this quickly. That's starting to happen more and more with certain freshmen."
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Wright State hires South Dakota State basketball coach Apr 4
- Wright State fires coach Billy Donlon after 6 seasons Mar 19
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9