Turner leads Ohio State past MichiganJan 18, 2009 - 5:19 AM ANN ARBOR, Michigan (Ticker) -- Evan Turner scored 19 points to lead Ohio State to a 65-58 victory over No. 24 Michigan on Saturday.
Freshmen William Buford and B.J. Mullens added 15 points apiece for the Buckeyes, who have won eight of their last nine meetings with the Wolverines.
The game was tied, 47-47, with five minutes remaining when Ohio State (13-3, 3-2 Big Ten) put the game away with a 10-0 run over the next four minutes.
Mullens keyed the spurt with five points.
"We had a lead there, 44-40, with eight minutes to go in the game. We just had to know that they were going to score easy points because of their size," Michigan coach John Beilein said. "(B.J.) Mullens is hard to guard around the basket. They had a great game plan, but we had a lot of tough breaks at different times during that game and we were going to have to play a pretty perfect game to beat them. They have great talent and they worked harder than us tonight."
Manny Harris scored 21 points for Michigan (13-5, 3-3), which lost consecutive games for the first time this season.
"I just wish we played better," Beilein said. "We had some opportunities to win the game and we just missed them. But we are still young, we are learning and we have to improve. We have to keep improving to play teams like that."
The Buckeyes led by as many as 11 points in the first half, but the Wolverines closed with a 9-2 run and cut the deficit to 29-25 at the half.
Deshawn Sims and Harris hit a pair of free throws and Harris added a 3-pointer in the run.
The loss put a bit of a damper on Michigan's celebration of the 1989 national title team.
Michigan's all-time leading scorer Glenn Rice and Rumeal Robinson, whose free throws in the closing second of overtime iced the title win over Seton Hall, attended the halftime celebration.
The Wolverines wore blue jerseys that matched the ones the 1989 squad wore when they won the championship in Seattle.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST 29 36 65
MICHIGAN (24) 25 33 58 FINAL
Jan 17 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
OHIO ST 29
(24) MICHIGAN 25 HALFTIME
Jan 17 8:52 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- 3 freshman leave Ohio State basketball team Mar 30
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Ohio State F Jae'Sean Tate headed for season-ending surgery Feb 23