Flynn, Syracuse upset No. 15 MarquetteMar 7, 2009 - 11:50 PM MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- Jonny Flynn and suddenly hot Syracuse spoiled Senior Day for Jerel McNeal and Marquette.
Flynn scored 24 points Saturday as the 25th-ranked Orange upset the 15th-ranked Golden Eagles, 86-79, in an overtime thriller.
Andy Rautins scored 20 points off the bench and made a key 3-pointer in overtime for Syracuse (23-8, 11-7 Big East), which has won its last four games and secured the No. 6 seed in next week's Big East Conference tournament.
"We started out with four (victories) in this league and we ended with four," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "We'll forget about the in-between."
It was a heartbreaking end to an outstanding regular season for McNeal, Marquette's all-time leading scorer. The senior scored 25 points in this contest, his 20th game this season with at least 20 points.
Senior Wesley Matthews shot just 3-of-15 and finished with 14 points for the Golden Eagles (23-8, 12-6), who have lost four consecutive games - all without injured point guard Dominic James.
"I think (our guys) are competing their guts out," Marquette coach Buzz Williams said. "We're just coming up short."
Flynn scored five consecutive points over a 75-second stretch to give the Orange a 72-70 lead with 30 seconds left in regulation. McNeal's 3-pointer gave Marquette a 73-72 advantage, but Syracuse's Rick Jackson made 1-of-2 free throws with 13 seconds left to force overtime.
McNeal drained another 3-pointer to forge a 77-77 tie midway through overtime. But Rautins responded with a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession to give Syracuse the lead for good at 80-77. Rautins scored seven points in overtime.
Jackson finished with 17 points and eight rebounds while Eric Devendorf scored 12 points for the Orange.
- NCAA BB
FINAL IN 1ST OT 1ST 2ND 1OT TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
SYRACUSE (25) 34 39 13 86
MARQUETTE (15) 35 38 6 79 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Mar 7 4:25 PM
- NCAA BB
(25) SYRACUSE 73
(15) MARQUETTE 73 END 2ND HALF, GOING INTO OVERTIME
Mar 7 4:02 PM
- NCAA BB
(25) SYRACUSE 34
(15) MARQUETTE 35 HALFTIME
Mar 7 2:51 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27