Georgetown hangs on to win opener over JacksonvilleNov 18, 2008 - 6:07 AM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Sophomore Chris Wright scored 14 of his career-high 16 points in the first half as 18th-ranked Georgetown held on for a 71-62 season-opening victory over Jacksonville on Monday.
Freshman Greg Monroe had 14 points, seven rebounds and three blocks for the Hoyas (1-0), who made just 5-of-23 3-pointers.
Georgetown is coming off a disappointing second-round exit in the NCAA Tournament last season and lost two of its leaders in 7-2 center Roy Hibbert and point guard Jonathan Wallace to graduation.
Stepping into Wallace's starting spot, Wright equaled his career high in the first half, making 5-of-7 from the floor, including 3-of-4 from the arc as the Hoyas held a 37-25 lead at intermission.
Georgetown never trailed but failed to put away Jacksonville (0-2), which pulled within 59-56 on a pair of free throws by Ben Smith with 5:04 remaining.
The Dolphins never got any closer, committing a couple key turnovers and the Hoyas went 8-of-8 from the foul line in the final 1:44 to put the game away.
"We played hard tonight and I really liked our effort tonight," Jacksonville coach Cliff Warren said. "There are a lot of positives for us to take out of this game, but you have to give Georgetown credit. They did the little things it takes to win games like this."
Smith finished with 17 points and Marcus Allen had 14 and eight rebounds for Jacksonville, which shot 3-of-20 from the arc.
Jessie Sapp and DaJuan Summers each scored 13 points for the Hoyas.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
JACKSONVILLE 25 37 62
GEORGETOWN (18) 37 34 71 FINAL
Nov 17 9:35 PM
- NCAA BB
(18) GEORGETOWN 37 HALFTIME
Nov 17 8:22 PM
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Former Jacksonville basketball standout Morgan dies at 67 Jan 15
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Jacksonville takes down Thomas (Ga) 92-64 Nov 23
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14