Tyus leads Florida past UMKCNov 30, 2008 - 8:24 PM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- Alex Tyus scored a career-high 25 points as 18th-ranked Florida overcame a sluggish start in an 86-65 victory over Missouri-Kansas City on Sunday.
Chandler Parsons added 17 points for the Gators (5-1), who trailed with under five minutes remaining in the first half before eventually taking control.
Tyus was the best player on the floor, making 10-of-13 shots from the floor in the best effort of his young career. The 6-8 sophomore also enjoyed a big game Monday, scoring 24 points on 11-of-14 shooting in an 89-83 loss to Syracuse.
Thanks to Tyus, the Gators were able to overcome a off-game from leading-scorer Nick Calathes. Making a homecoming after attending high school in the Orlando area, Calathes managed a season-low nine points.
Dane Brumagin scored 16 points and Reggie Hamilton 10 for Missouri-Kansas City (3-5), which was facing a ranked team for the first time this season.
A huge underdog, the Kangaroos hung in and enjoyed a 32-29 lead following Brumagin's layup with 4:51 remaining in the first half.
However, the Kangaroos went scoreless the remainder of the half as the Gators reeled off an 11-0 surge to take a 40-32 advantage into the break. Calathes made a layup and hit a free throw in the burst.
The run continued to start the second half as the Gators scored the first nine points to extend their cushion to 47-32. Parsons had a pair of baskets on the inside.
Tyus, who did a majority of his damage in the paint, threw down a dunk to make it 61-43 with just over 12 minutes remaining.
Freshman Erving Walker contributed 13 points for the Gators, who shot 55 percent (34-of-62).
- AT ORLANDO FL
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UMKC 32 33 65
FLORIDA (18) 40 46 86 FINAL
Nov 30 3:09 PM
- AT ORLANDO FL
NCAA BB UMKC 32
(18) FLORIDA 40 HALFTIME
Nov 30 1:57 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18