Backcourt helps UCLA cruise past Cal State-NorthridgeDec 8, 2008 - 7:44 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- UCLA's guards helped the team bounce back from its second loss.
Josh Shipp and freshman Jrue Holiday each scored 14 points to lead ninth-ranked UCLA by Cal State-Northridge, 85-67, on Sunday.
Darren Collison added 13 points and six assists for the Bruins (5-2), who shot 58 percent (35-of-60) from the floor.
The backcourt trio helped erase the memory of Thursday's 68-64 defeat at No. 8 Texas. It is the earliest that UCLA has lost its second game since it began 3-2 during the 2003-04 campaign.
UCLA started to open up a cushion midway through the first half when Shipp scored the first seven points during an 11-0 burst that gave the Bruins a 24-9 lead with 10:49 left in the half.
An 8-0 run pushed the Bruins bulge to 37-15 with 4:14 left in the half but the Matadors closed within 41-27 at the break.
Collison made his first three shots, including consecutive baskets from the arc, to open the second half as UCLA went on a 15-6 run to take a 56-33 advantage less than four minutes into the session.
Cal State Northridge was able to cut the deficit down to 15, but Alfred Aboya's three-point play ignited a 7-0 spurt as UCLA took a 67-45 lead with 11:05 remaining.
The Matadors shot 60 percent (18-of-30) in the second half but were never able to threaten the Bruins' lead down the stretch.
Aboya, James Keefe and freshman Drew Gordon each added nine points for UCLA, which forced 23 turnovers.
Tremaine Townsend scored a career-high 23 points to lead the Matadors (1-6), who have lost six straight contests.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CS NORTHRIDGE 27 40 67
UCLA (9) 41 44 85 FINAL
Dec 8 12:31 AM
- NCAA BB
CS NORTHRIDGE 67
(9) UCLA 85 END-
Dec 8 12:30 AM
- NCAA BB
CS NORTHRIDGE 27
(9) UCLA 41 HALFTIME
Dec 7 11:22 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- Madness! UCLA beats SMU on goaltending call Mar 19
- Bruins battle Mustangs in South Regional affair Mar 19
- Ashley scores 24 as Arizona tops UCLA Mar 14