Georgetown crushes Savannah StateDec 9, 2008 - 5:02 AM WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Fast starts are beginning to become the norm for Georgetown.
DaJuan Summers, Jessie Sapp and Austin Freeman each scored 14 points as the 19th-ranked Hoyas blew out Savannah State, 100-38, on Monday.
Freshman Greg Monroe had 13 points and seven rebounds for the Hoyas (6-1), who shot a season-high 70 percent (37-of-53) from the field.
"I thought we played very well today," Hoyas coach John Thompson III said. "I was extremely nervous, (Savannah State coach) Horace (Broadnax) has done a terrific job with that program and turned that program around quickly."
Since losing its first game of the season to then-No. 12 Tennessee on November 28, Georgetown has jumped on opponents in the game's opening 20 minutes.
The Hoyas outscored Maryland and American, 78-32, in the respective first halves combined, and used another torrid stretch to put the Tigers away early in this one.
Georgetown made its first six shots - including 3-pointers from Summers and Sapp - and jumped out to a 19-5 lead just under seven minutes into the contest.
"A game like that is fun as long as you do what you have to do," Sapp said. "Any game can be fun especially when you're up by that much. It was fun, but we just wanted to focus."
A 15-0 burst pushed the bulge to 45-9 with 4:32 left in the half and the Hoyas had a 57-15 advantage at the intermission. Georgetown shot 72 percent (21-of-29) from the floor in the first half, while Savannah State connected on 6-of-33 (18 percent).
"I guess the last week or so we've been on an emotional roller-coaster," Broadnax said. "We played extremely well against Michigan and with the exception of poor coaching we probably could have won that game. Then we came back and beat Bowling Green. We tried to use motivation to build off of that, but sometimes being in games like that is fool's gold."
The Hoyas pulled their starters just minutes into the second half with the game well out of reach.
Raye Bailey scored 13 points to lead the Tigers (5-4), who were outrebounded, 46-18.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAVANNAH ST 15 23 38
GEORGETOWN (19) 57 43 100 FINAL
Dec 8 9:30 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 15
(19) GEORGETOWN 57 HALFTIME
Dec 8 8:31 PM
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Georgetown topples Eastern Washington to advance Mar 20
- Hoyas set sights on Eagles in South Regional action Mar 19
- Xavier holds off Georgetown to reach Big East finals Mar 14
- Xavier and Georgetown do battle in Big East tourney Mar 13
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12