Shipp leads as UCLA crushes Louisiana TechDec 29, 2008 - 12:37 AM LOS ANGELES (Ticker) -- Josh Shipp scored 16 points and No. 10 UCLA used some dominant defense to cruise to a 78-55 victory over Louisiana Tech on Sunday.
Alfred Aboya and freshman Jrue Holiday chipped in 12 points apiece while Darren Collison dished out 13 assists for the Bruins, who have won six games in a row.
It was the final tune-up for UCLA (10-2) before Pac-10 play begins. The Bruins open their conference slate against Oregon State on Friday.
UCLA used stifling defense from the start against the Bulldogs, holding them to 24 percent (7-of-29) shooting in the first half en route to taking a 37-17 lead into the break. Only three players managed to find the score sheet for Louisiana Tech in the first half.
"UCLA is a very good team, and they are very well coached," Bulldogs head coach Kerry Rupp said. "We knew we had to be our best going in. We got some good shots, but we made 21 turnovers, and that killed us. Again, our hats go off to them, their staff does a great job."
Shipp scored 10 points before the break while Jermie Anderson came off the bench to add eight points on 3-of-4 shooting.
The Bruins used a 15-5 run opening the second half to push the lead to 52-22 and put away the game.
Louisiana Tech finished the game shooting 37 percent (21-of-57), including 2-of-15 from 3-point range, while hitting just 11-of-19 free throws.
Magnum Rolle led the Bulldogs (6-7) with 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting and eight rebounds.
"This kind of competition lets us know where we want to be," Rupp said.
Louisiana Tech opens Western Athletic Conference play on Saturday at San Jose State.
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- Madness! UCLA beats SMU on goaltending call Mar 19
- Bruins battle Mustangs in South Regional affair Mar 19
- Ashley scores 24 as Arizona tops UCLA Mar 14