Rice comes up with clutch shot for Boston CollegeFeb 25, 2009 - 5:50 AM CHESTNUT HILL, Massachusetts (Ticker) -- Tyrese Rice did not score in the first half, but he more than made up for it after the break.
Rice hit a deep 3-pointer with 20 seconds to go to lead Boston College to a 72-67 victory over No. 25 Florida State on Tuesday.
Joe Trapani scored 19 points for the Eagles (20-9, 8-6 ACC), who also have conference wins over North Carolina and Duke.
Rice scored all 11 of his points in the second half. His late 3-pointer from the top of the key extended Boston College's lead to 71-67.
Toney Douglas scored 19 points and Soloman Alabi had 16 points and seven rebounds for the Seminoles (21-7, 8-5).
Rakim Sanders added 16 points and nine rebounds for Boston College, which was 1-of-10 from the arc in the first half but went 7-of-11 after the break.
The Seminoles jumped out to a 16-4 lead just over seven minutes into the game as the Eagles missed seven of their first nine shots.
Boston College pulled to within 25-24 at the half and seemed to have the game in hand when Biko Paris made consecutive layups to make it 64-54 with just under six minutes left.
Paris gave the Eagles their largest lead of the game, but the Seminoles were not finished. Florida State responded with an 8-0 run that Douglas capped with a 3-pointer from the wing.
The Seminoles got within one on two occasions late, but Rice delivered just when the Eagles needed him to.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA ST (25) 25 42 67
BOSTON COLLEGE 24 48 72 FINAL
Feb 24 10:58 PM
- NCAA BB
(25) FLORIDA ST 25
BOSTON COLLEGE 24 HALFTIME
Feb 24 9:44 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- BC looks to avoid winless ACC year in football, basketball Mar 4
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4
- Hamilton, Florida State looks to snap 5-game losing streak Feb 26