for this game

Summers helps Georgetown hold off Wichita State

Nov 28, 2008 - 9:03 AM LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida (Ticker) -- DaJuan Summers scored all 14 of his points in the second half as 16th-ranked Georgetown held off Wichita State for a 58-50 victory Thursday in the first round of the Old Spice Classic.

With the Hoyas (3-0) clinging to a 43-42 lead with 5:20 remaining, Summers scored five of Georgetown's next seven points as they took control of the game late.

"No matter how the game is going, I feel like as a veteran of this team I can contribute," Summers said. "At practice I get frustrated if I don't just hit it instantly, just playing hard is what coach keeps stressing to me."

Austin Freeman put the Hoyas ahead, 45-42, with a layup, and Summers followed with a 3-pointer and a short jumper to give Georgetown a 50-44 lead with 2:45 left in the contest.

"They played hard," Freeman said. "We had a couple mistakes, a couple lapses that they capitalized on."

The Hoyas then hit all eight of their free throws down the stretch to close out the game.

"I think we handled it OK," Georgetown coach John Thompson III said. "It's something we have to experience and just the understanding that regardless of the flow of the game, as long as we stay constant, as long as we stay consistent, as long as we give the effort, as long as we all are on the same page, more often then that outcome will be OK. A lot of times we just have to focus on us."

Freeman led the Hoyas with 18 points and freshman Greg Monroe added 11.

David Kyles led the Shockers (2-2) with 11 points, and Ramon Clemente added 10.

Kyles capped a 10-2 run with a conventional 3-point play to get Wichita State with 40-38 midway through the second half, and a put-back by Clemente at the six-minute mark pulled the Shockers within 43-42.

Georgetown opened the game with a 9-0 run keyed by Freeman, who scored the first seven points of the game.

Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall replaced all five starters and reserve Reggie Chamberlain broke the scoreless drought with a 3-pointer to put the Shockers on the board five minutes into the game.

Georgetown next faces 12th-ranked Tennessee in Friday's semifinals.