No. 15 Florida State beats North Florida, 79-50Nov 14, 2009 - 2:53 AM TALLAHASSEE, Fla.(AP) -- The Florida State women's basketball team looked to be in midseason form in Friday night's season opener.
The No. 15 Seminoles (1-0) held North Florida scoreless for more than 12 minutes in the first half, romping to a 79-50 win. Florida State put the game away in the first half with a 30-0 run and a defense that held North Florida (0-1) to just two points in the paint.
"I hope you can see not just the statistics of 19 consecutive stops or a 30-0 run, but the fashion in which it happened," FSU coach Sue Semrau said. "It was a team effort. It was a ton of ball pressure. It was kids backing each other up, giving great help and doing a great job rebounding."
Jacinta Monroe led the Seminoles with 16 points, while Angel Gray added 11 points and a team-high nine rebounds. Alexa Deluzio and Courtney Ward each added 10 points. Sophomore guard Brittany Kirkland led the Ospreys with 12 points, and Dori Lansbach added 11.
The Seminoles dominated the inside for most of the game, scoring 42 points in the paint, blocking five shots and outrebounding the Ospreys 48-23. FSU led by as many as 39 points.
"They're very physical," UNF coach Mary Tappmeyer said. "They were on fire in the first half. Our kids got a little rattled, and they watched. They let someone else do it instead of playing basketball."
North Florida regained its composure in the second half, scoring 40 points after scoring just 10 in the first. The Ospreys had 28 turnovers and shot 34.7 percent from the floor compared to Florida State's 46.9 percent.
- Illinois center Chatrice White transfers to Florida State May 14
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Florida State women look to make good on president's pick Mar 24
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Romero scores 17, leads Florida St past Middle Tennessee St Mar 19
- Middle Tennessee-Florida St. Preview Mar 18
- Thomas leads No. 21 Miami women past No. 14 FSU 74-56 Mar 4
- Romero lifts No. 12 FSU women past No. 17 Miami 70-67 Feb 28