Marquette 43, Duke 74Nov 28, 2009 - 4:11 AM CANCUN, Mexico (AP) -- Jasmine Thomas made the most of her trip to Mexico.
Thomas had 11 points, 11 rebounds and 12 assists for the third triple-double in Duke history and the 10th-ranked Blue Devils beat Marquette 74-43 on Friday.
She joined Monique Currie and Katie Meier as the only Blue Devils with a triple-double.
"I was just playing off a lot of energy," Thomas said. "We were really fired up for this game. I was just going after the ball. I usually don't have that many rebounds so that is something that they will expect to see out of me more."
In two games during the Caribbean Challenge, Thomas averaged 15.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 7.5 assists and 1.5 steals. The 12 assists against Marquette also matched the school record held by three different Blue Devils - Currie, Meier and Leigh Morgan.
"It is remarkable when I look at the stat sheet and I see a triple-double by Jasmine," Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said. "It takes that kind of heart and hustle she played with (tonight). I am happy for her."
Bridgette Mitchell added 13 points, Krystal Thomas 12 and Joy Cheek 11 for the Blue Devils (5-1), who shot 52.5 percent from the field (31 for 59).
Lauren Thomas-Johnson scored 13 points for Marquette (4-2), which was 17 for 68 (25 percent) from the floor.
"Obviously the score isn't the type of score we wanted for this game," Marquette coach Terri Mitchell said. "In the end of the day we just didn't hit shots."
With the game tied 9-9, Duke went on a 10-0 run over the next 3 minutes and then pushed the lead to 29-16 at the half. Duke put the game away early in the second half going on a 12-2 spurt to start the second half.
In the second half, Duke led by as many as 23 before Marquette cut the Blue Devils' advantage to 54-38 with 6:45 remaining. Duke responded with a 16-0 run over the next 5:50 on its way to winning by a 31-point margin.
"Everybody was hustling and really playing very, very hard," McCallie said. "We have really had a great defensive tournament. Everyone played their part defensively - it wasn't any one person."
Currie had her triple-double against Florida State with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists on Jan. 5, 2006, while Meier had 16 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists against Manhattan on March 11, 1987.
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15