San Diego St. 55, South Carolina 58Nov 28, 2009 - 8:18 PM ST. THOMAS, Virgin Islands (AP) -- Charenee Stephens scored 20 points to lead South Carolina to a 58-55 upset of No. 23 San Diego State in the Paradise Jam on Saturday.
Stephens scored a key basket to give the Gamecocks (3-3) a 56-52 lead with 30 seconds left. Jerica Williams countered with a 3-pointer with 19 seconds remaining to pull San Diego State within a point, but La'Keisha Sutton scored a breakaway lay-up moments later.
Quenese Davis missed a potential tying 3-pointer at the buzzer for the Aztecs.
Valerie Nainima scored 11 points for South Carolina, and Sutton finished with 10.
Allison Duffy led San Diego State (3-3) with 13 points. Jene Morris, who surpassed the 1,000-point mark for her career during the game, finished with 11.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
SAN DIEGO ST (23) 55
SOUTH CAROLINA 58 FINAL
Nov 28 2:56 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
SAN DIEGO ST (23) 24
SOUTH CAROLINA 26 HALFTIME
Nov 28 1:47 PM
- SEC women's basketball tourney returning to South Carolina May 16
- South Carolina, Dawn Staley looking to learn from setback Apr 27
- Staley: South Carolina reserve forward White to transfer Mar 31
- Gamecocks reserve G Kaydra Duckett leaving South Carolina Mar 30
- Staley wants South Carolina to remember NCAA Tournament loss Mar 28
- Syracuse women stun South Carolina 80-72 in regional semis Mar 25
- Syracuse-South Carolina Preview Mar 24
- Syracuse's press will be challenge for South Carolina women Mar 24
- Gamecocks' A'ja Wilson poised for run to top of women's game Mar 22
- Mitchell powers South Carolina into Sweet 16 with 73-47 win Mar 20
- Kansas St.-South Carolina Preview Mar 19
- Top seeded South Carolina led by dominating duo in NCAA play Mar 19