No. 11 North Carolina beats Gardner-Webb 81-65Dec 13, 2009 - 10:34 PM CHAPEL HILL, N.C.(AP) -- Cetera DeGraffenreid had 19 points and Italee Lucas added 18, leading No. 11 North Carolina past Gardner-Webb 81-65 on Sunday.
Dominique Hudson led Gardner-Webb (8-2), which had a school-record, eight-game Division I winning streak snapped, with 17 points in the schools first meeting.
Courtney Epps added 16 for the Bulldogs, while Margaret Roundtree had 12 and 6-foot-6 center Sandra Vaitkute 10.
North Carolina (8-1) shot 41.2 percent for the game to 32.8 for the Bulldogs, and finished with a 47-44 rebound advantage and committed 24 turnovers to the visitors 27.
The Tar Heels led 35-24 at halftime behind eight points from DeGraffenreid.
UNC shot just 34.3 percent in the first half, but Gardner-Webb was worse at 23.3.
Gardner-Webb led by two points three times early in the game in which there were six ties and five lead changes.
But with the visitors leading 12-11, the Tar Heels went on an 11-0 run, with Lucas getting both the go-ahead points on a layup at 11:29, and ending it on a 3-pointer at 10:03.
Gardner-Webb cut the margin to 53-47 with 10:36 left on a layup by Roundtree. But the Tar Heels responded with the next nine points, five from DeGraffenreid and four from Lucas.
UNC's biggest lead was 21 points on four occasions.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (11) 81 FINAL
Dec 13 5:15 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
NORTH CAROLINA (11) 35 HALFTIME
Dec 13 4:08 PM
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- No. 15 Northwestern women defeat North Carolina 85-72 Dec 2
- Gardner-Webb shocks No. 22 North Carolina women 66-65 Nov 13
- Late layup lifts South Carolina over Heels Mar 28
- UNC advances past Buckeyes on buzzer beater Mar 23
- Tar Heels get past Liberty on their home floor Mar 21
- UNC's Hatchell resumes coaching duties May 5