Oregon uses defense to smother Wyoming, 78-66Dec 20, 2009 - 11:30 PM LARAMIE, Wyo.(AP) -- Micaela Cocks scored 17 points as Oregon jumped out to a big early lead and held off Wyoming 78-66 on Sunday.
The Ducks (9-2) bothered the Cowgirls with a smothering full-court press, scored the game's first 11 points and led by as much as 22 in the first half. Oregon forced 26 Wyoming turnovers, including 21 in the first half.
Aubrey Vandiver led Wyoming (9-2) with 19 points.
Oregon led 45-28 at halftime and built its lead back up to 21 in the second half. The Cowgirls cut the deficit down to nine with 11 minutes left, but the Ducks answered with a 10-0 run.
Taylor Lilley and Nia Jackson scored 14 points each for Oregon, and Amanda Johnson had 10.
Hillary Carlson and Kristen Scheffler finished with 15 points apiece for Wyoming, and Emma Langford added 12.
- Jones leads Arizona women past Oregon 74-68 in Pac-12 Mar 3
- McCall leads No. 13 Stanford women past Oregon 69-42 Feb 28
- ACL injury ends season for Oregon star Jillian Alleyne Feb 26
- Fields, Canada lift No. 12 UCLA women past Oregon 77-72 Feb 19
- Oregon women score 35 in 4th, beat No. 24 Washington 75-63 Feb 7
- No. 8 Arizona St women win 15th in row, beat Oregon Jan 30
- Oregon's Alleyne is having a record-breaking senior year Jan 21
- No. 11 Stanford rallies to edge Oregon 64-62 Jan 15
- Balance leads No. 11 Oregon State women past Oregon 59-45 Jan 10
- No. 21 UCLA women beat Oregon 80-69 Jan 2
- No. 4 Stanford dismantles Oregon in Pac-12 opener Jan 3
- Ogwumike sets Stanford single-game rebound record in rout of Oregon Feb 24