No. 8 Duke routs Maine 75-34 in McCallie's returnDec 22, 2009 - 3:54 AM ORONO, Maine(AP) -- Joanne P. McCallie's return to Maine was full of turnovers and pressure. Just the way she likes it.
Karima Christmas and Bridgette Mitchell each scored 16 points and No. 8 Duke cruised past Maine 75-34 on Monday night, giving coach McCallie a victory in her return to Alfond Arena.
Duke's full-court trap forced a season-high 34 turnovers and held Maine (2-7) to 30 percent shooting. The Blue Devils (9-2) pulled away with a 24-4 run in the first half.
"We're a pressure team, an up-tempo team," McCallie said. "We're going to use every aspect of our team to our advantage."
Before the game, McCallie received a standing ovation from the crowd of more than 3,700 and was lauded for her time with the Black Bears, an eight-year stretch highlighted by six straight NCAA tournament appearances (1995-00), four conference crowns and a 167-73 record.
Maine coach Cindy Blodgett won two NCAA scoring titles while playing for McCallie in Orono.
"I liked that our team came out ready, in attack mode," Blodgett said. "There were some things that we can certainly build on, and I liked the way we fought."
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- Albany beats Maine 59-58 for 5th straight America East title Mar 11
- Albany Great Danes chasing 5th straight America East title Mar 10
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17