McCray's big game helps No. 21 Kansas beat HoustonDec 23, 2009 - 5:43 AM HOUSTON(AP) -- Danielle McCray scored a game-high 37 points and led No. 21 Kansas to an 89-69 win over Houston on Tuesday night.
McCray made 12 of her first 13 shots and scored 25 points in the first half leading the Jayhawks (9-2) to their sixth straight win following back-to-back losses to Xavier and TCU in late November.
McCray, who has scored at least 20 points six times this season, also led Kansas with 11 rebounds.
Aishah Sutherland added 10 points and Angel Goodrich had 11 assists for the Jayhawks, who improved to 6-0 all-time against Houston.
Brittney Scott scored 22 points for the Cougars (6-5), who have lost back-to-back home games. Houston, which also got 16 points from Courtney Taylor, fell to 0-2 this season against ranked teams. The Cougars lost 72-54 at LSU on Nov. 21.
Jasmine Johnson added a career-high 14 points for Houston.
McCray made her first seven shots of the game as the Jayhawks raced out to a 29-18 lead in the first 10:31 of the game. The 5-foot-11 senior from Olathe, Kan., scored 13 of the Jayhawks' first 17 points and outscored the Cougars 13-8 in the first 4:40.
Scott made two free throws with 9:55 left in the half and started a 9-4 run to get the Cougars within eight. But McCray got going again and pushed the Kansas lead to 35-23 with 5:53 left.
McCray made her first two shots in the second half, including a long three with 17:33 left in the game to give Kansas a 55-35 lead. She did not miss her second shot until the fourth minute of the second half.
- Rodrigo scores 13, leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 66-50 Mar 6
- Kansas stuns TCU 81-64 to snap 20-game losing streak Mar 5
- No. 22 Oklahoma State women beat Kansas 71-49 Feb 24
- No. 20 Oklahoma women top Kansas 72-66 Feb 20
- No. 4 Baylor women win 10th straight, 81-49 over Kansas Feb 6
- Boyette leads No. 6 Texas past Kansas 70-46 Jan 27
- No. 20 South Florida women beat Houston 73-49 Jan 27
- Imani Boyette scores 15, No. 4 Texas beats Kansas 75-38 Jan 13
- Davis helps No. 6 Baylor women rout Kansas 58-40 Jan 6
- No. 18 Oklahoma women beat Kansas 67-44 in a Big 12 opener Dec 30
- Disterhoft leads No. 25 Iowa women to 64-50 win over Houston Nov 28
- No. 24 George Washington women beat Houston 82-78 Nov 26