Orsillo helps Arizona State end two-game slideDec 29, 2009 - 3:38 AM TEMPE, Ariz.(AP) -- Danielle Orsillo scored 15 of her 16 points in the first half and No. 19 Arizona State easily ended its two-game skid with a 74-37 win over Furman on Monday night.
The Sun Devils finished the first half on a 14-0 run, shutting out the Paladins over the final 7:02 to take a 42-17 lead at the break. Furman didnt score in the first two minutes of the second half to go more than nine minutes total without a point.
Furman made just 13-of-50 (26 percent) from the field and was held to its lowest point total of the season. It was also Arizona State's best defensive performance of the season, bettering the 43 points scored by North Dakota on Dec. 9.
Tenaya Watson added 10 points, three rebounds and three assists in the first half for Arizona State (8-3), finishing with 12 points and six assists.
Lee Stephens scored 11 and Lakyn Ledford added 10 to lead Furman (4-10).
The Sun Devils made eight of their first 10 shots and ran off eight straight points - sparked by back-to-back baskets by Orsillo - to take an early 16-8 lead. Then, Furman missed eight of its last nine shots of the half after falling behind 28-15.
Arizona State made 19-of-29 from the field in the first 20 minutes, including Orsillo, who hit all three of her 3-point attempts and was 6-of-7 overall. The Sun Devils were coming off losses to No. 10 Texas A&M and No. 5 Baylor at a tournament in Las Vegas on Dec. 19-20.
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21
- Brunner, No. 9 Arizona State cruise past Washingtom Feb 19
- Brunner beats buzzer in OT, No. 9 Arizona St beats Stanford Feb 15
- Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State women past California Feb 13