Adams scores 19 to lead Texas A&M over New MexicoDec 31, 2009 - 5:24 AM ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.(AP) -- When Texas A&M got its inside game working early in the second half, it was all over for New Mexico.
Danielle Adams scored all 19 of her points after the break, leading No. 10 Texas A&M to an 84-69 victory over New Mexico on Wednesday night.
Adams missed three shots in the first half before sinking 9 of 10 after halftime - her only miss was a 3-point attempt. The Aggies shot 70.4 percent in the second half.
"We had to get inside baskets," Aggies coach Gary Blair said. "Our legs were leaving us and we were dead tired out there. I think it was just a hard basketball game to play."
Texas A&M (11-1) overcame a 34-32 deficit with a 17-4 run over the course of the first four minutes of the second half.
Geronika Jackson hit a 3-pointer to give the Lobos (8-4) the two-point lead. The Aggies then went on the run, with Adams collecting six of those points.
"We couldn't contain them inside," New Mexico coach Don Flanagan said. "We had trouble with them if we ran a man-to-man defense. When we went to the zone, they really attacked the interior and did an excellent job."
The Aggies capped the run with a five-point possession. Adams made a bank shot and was fouled. Adaora Elonu grabbed the missed free throw and passed it to Tyra White for a 3-pointer to give the Aggies a 49-38 lead. New Mexico (8-4) never got closer than six points the rest of the way.
Amy Beggin led the Lobos with 18 points and Jackson added 12 points.
Texas A&M had trouble getting it going early, missing seven straight shots after hitting its first basket. Through 11 minutes, the Aggies had hit just 3 of 13 from the field as the Lobos built their largest lead, 15-7.
White, a Texas A&M reserve, went 7 of 7 from the field and made both her foul shots for 16 points. Tanisha Smith added 17 for the Aggies.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS A&M (10) 84
NEW MEXICO 69 FINAL
Dec 30 10:57 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
TEXAS A&M (10) 32
NEW MEXICO 31 HALFTIME
Dec 30 9:48 PM
- New Mexico hires Mike Bradbury to lead women's team Mar 30
- Bulgak's 18 points lead Florida St. to 74-56 win over A&M Mar 21
- Florida St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 20
- Texas A&M's Howard and FSU's Thomas key in 2nd round matchup Mar 20
- Howard sets NCAA Tournament rebound record in Aggies win Mar 19
- Texas A&M suspends Courtney Williams and Shlonte Allen Mar 19
- Missouri St.-Texas A&M Preview Mar 18
- No. 22 Colorado State women advance, 60-42 over New Mexico Mar 10
- Tennessee women beat No. 15 A&M 70-60 for 3rd straight win Mar 4
- No. 15 Kentucky women defeat No. 11 Texas A&M 71-58 Feb 28
- No. 11 Texas A&M women win 6th straight, beat Auburn 57-49 Feb 25
- No. 25 Colorado State women slip past New Mexico 49-48 Feb 24