No. 18 Vanderbilt beats Mississippi 86-72Jan 3, 2010 - 10:27 PM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Tiffany Clarke and Lauren Lueders scored 18 points apiece and No. 18 Vanderbilt defeated Mississippi 86-72 in the Southeastern Conference opener for both schools.
Clarke scored 15 first-half points on 7-of-9 shooting, but picked up two quick fouls about four minutes into the second half and sat out for more than 12 minutes.
Lueders hit three of her four 3-pointers in the second half.
Meredith Marsh scored 16 and Jence Rhoads had 11 points and 10 assists for Vanderbilt (12-2, 1-0).
Bianca Thomas led Mississippi (9-5, 0-1) with 20 points, while Nikki Byrd scored 16 points before fouling out with 2:44. Shantell Black scored 13 and Kayla Melson had 10 points.
The Commodores went on a 12-0 run after Ole Miss took the lead 3-2 on Shantell Blacks 3-pointer, hitting 6-of-7 shots to start the game. Vanderbilt stretched the lead to 19 points with the help of 3-point baskets by Rhoads, Lueders and Marsh.
- Balcomb steps down as Vanderbilt women's basketball coach Apr 27
- No. 16 Mississippi State women beat Vanderbilt 63-46 Mar 4
- Vandy women rally to beat Georgia 54-49 in OT in SEC tourney Mar 3
- Reed, Vanderbilt women roll to 74-59 victory over Ole Miss Mar 2
- Reed leads Vanderbilt women, upset No. 24 Missouri 56-52 Feb 28
- Wilson has 16, No. 3 South Carolina tops Mississippi 66-45 Feb 25
- Vivians scores 21 in No. 16 Mississippi State's 66-61 win Feb 25
- No. 14 Mississippi State women sweep Ole Miss 60-51 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women win 20th, beat Vanderbilt 75-63 Feb 21
- No. 24 Lady Vols rally late to beat Ole Miss 57-51 Feb 18
- No. 22 Florida women beat Vanderbilt 79-67 Feb 18
- No. 12 Texas A&M women beat Ole Miss 62-48 Feb 15