No. 11 LSU overcomes sloppy half to beat ArkansasJan 8, 2010 - 3:50 AM FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.(AP) -- LSU coach Van Chancellor's 11th-ranked Tigers team showed him something he'd never seen before.
He'd be perfectly happy if he never saw it again either.
"Never in my time as a coach, all the way back to coaching high school have I had a team commit 16 turnovers in a half. "But for whatever reason, it happened tonight."
Allison Hightower and LaSondra Barrett led LSU with 13 points each to help the Tigers overcome a sloppy first half and beat Arkansas 65-38 Thursday night.
The Tigers (13-1, 2-0) committed 16 turnovers in the first 20 minutes, but started the second half on a 15-4 run to take a 34-23 lead and put the game away.
Ashley Daniels scored nine points for Arkansas and Skye Rees added seven points.
Arkansas (8-7, 0-2) was held to just another 19 points in the final 20 minutes overall and ended the game shooting just 29.8 percent.
"From the LSU point of view, it was two very different halves of basketball," Chancellor said. "We tried everything we could in the first half and nothing worked. So we came in at halftime, erased everything off the board and came out and played a much better second half."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
LSU (11) 65
ARKANSAS 38 FINAL
Jan 7 9:58 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
LSU (11) 19
ARKANSAS 19 HALFTIME
Jan 7 8:56 PM
- Tennessee women beat Arkansas 68-51 to bolster NCAA resume Mar 3
- No. 13 Kentucky women eliminate LSU from SEC tourney 79-71 Mar 3
- LSU beats Alabama 58-49 in opener of SEC women's tourney Mar 2
- Mitchell scores 24 in No. 3 South Carolina's 75-39 victory Feb 28
- LSU hands No. 24 Tennessee women 2nd loss in 3 games 57-56 Feb 21
- No. 16 Kentucky women beat Arkansas 77-63 Feb 21
- No. 12 Texas A&M women pull away in 4th, beat LSU 68-54 Feb 18
- Thompson sparks No. 18 Kentucky women to 70-58 win over LSU Feb 7
- Vivians leads No. 11 Mississippi State to 71-52 win over LSU Feb 4
- Warlick wins 100th as No. 23 Lady Vols beat Arkansas 75-57 Feb 4
- No. 13 Mississippi State women beat Arkansas 65-55 Jan 31
- Cunningham, No. 22 Missouri women beat LSU 52-46 Jan 28