No. 16 WVU pulls away, beats Pirates 53-31Jan 28, 2010 - 2:34 AM MORGANTOWN, W.Va.(AP) -- Korinne Campbell scored 17 points and No. 16 West Virginia overcame a sluggish start to beat Seton Hall 53-31 on Wednesday night.
Sarah Miles added 13 points for the Mountaineers (19-2, 6-1 Big East), who matched the best start in school history set by the 1991-92 team.
Seton Hall (8-13, 0-8) kept the game close until midway through the first half when West Virginia went on a 15-7 run to take a 26-18 lead at the half.
The Pirates drew within eight midway through the second half after Ebonie Williams hit a deep 3 to make the score 35-27 but would get no closer than that.
The nations fourth-best scoring defense held the Pirates to their second-lowest output of the season. Connecticut held Seton Hall to just 24 points on Jan. 2.
Williams led Seton Hall with 17 points. The Pirates are off to the worst conference start since entering the Big East in 1982.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
SETON HALL 51
WEST VIRGINIA (16) 53 FINAL
Jan 27 9:37 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
SETON HALL 18
WEST VIRGINIA (16) 27 HALFTIME
Jan 27 7:52 PM
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- Duquesne beats Seton Hall 97-76 in NCAA tournament debut Mar 19
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- West Virginia tops Princeton in women's NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Duquesne-Seton Hall Preview Mar 18
- Princeton-West Virginia Preview Mar 17
- No. 22 West Virginia women top Kansas St. in Big 12 tourney Mar 5
- No. 22 West Virginia women cruise past Iowa State 82-57 Mar 1
- West Virginia women whip No. 22 Oklahoma State 82-48 Feb 27
- McCarty leads No. 8 Texas past West Virginia 73-50 Feb 21
- West Virginia women hold off No. 20 Oklahoma 63-55 Feb 17