No. 21 Gonzaga shuts down Loyola Marymount, 73-40Feb 19, 2010 - 6:07 AM SPOKANE, Wash.(AP) -- Courtney Vandersloot had 17 points and eight assists, and No. 21 Gonzaga held Loyola Marymount scoreless for more than 9 minutes in the first half on the way to a 73-40 victory on Thursday night.
Tiffanie Shives added 14 points and Vivian Frieson had 12 points and nine rebounds for the Bulldogs (22-4, 11-0 West Coast Conference), winners of 13 straight. Gonzaga has won 10 of its last 11 meetings against the Lions.
Renahy Young had 17 points and Alex Cowling 11 for Loyola Marymount (11-14, 4-7).
Shives made a 3-pointer to start a 17-0 burst that saw the Bulldogs open a 23-4 lead with less than 7 minutes left in the first half. Loyola Marymount managed to close to 27-19 early in the second half on Candice Nichols' 3-pointer, but Gonzaga responded with a 7-0 run capped by another 3 from Shives with 15:55 left.
- Lady Vols capture thrilling OT win to advance Mar 28
- Bulldogs bowl over Beavers in Spokane Region Mar 22
- Zags pull upset of sixth-seeded Colonials Mar 20
- Gonzaga names Fortier women's hoops coach Apr 15
- Dukes dump Bulldogs at Reed Arena Mar 23
- Cyclones blow by Gonzaga in first round Mar 23
- No. 1 Stanford cruises past Gonzaga Dec 2
- Kentucky's hot shooting ends Gonzaga's run in the Sweet 16 Mar 25
- 11th-seeded Gonzaga continues improbable run to Sweet 16 Mar 20
- Gonzaga upsets sixth-seeded Rutgers Mar 17
- Cardinal back in Final Four after knocking off Gonzaga Mar 29
- Gonzaga continues its hot play, advances to first-ever Elite Eight Mar 27