Griner helps Baylor rout KansasMar 1, 2010 - 12:24 AM WACO, Texas(AP) -- Brittney Griner scored 21 points and blocked 10 shots to help No. 17 Baylor rout Kansas 70-47 on Sunday night.
Shanay Washington scored 16 points and Kelli Griffin had 9 points, 9 assists and 8 rebounds for the Bears (21-7, 8-6 Big 12). Baylor made its first nine shots and quickly opened a double-digit lead en route to the easy win.
Carolyn Davis scored 15 to lead Kansas (15-12, 5-9).
Baylor went up 19-9 on a three-point play by Washington with 14:19 left in the first period. The Bears led by a dozen twice in the first half before an eight-point run by Kansas cut its deficit to 27-23 with 4:44 to play. Monica Engelman hit a basket and two free throws during the stretch for Kansas.
That eight-point spurt was Kansas' only sustained scoring run. The Jayhawks didnt score more than four consecutive points at any other time in the game.
Baylor then proceeded to close the period on an 8-0 run to go up 35-23 at the half. Griner's jumper and layup sparked an 11-4 spurt to open the second half and give Baylor a 46-27 lead with 14:52 to go and put the game out of reach.
The Bears made all 13 of their free throw attempts while Kansas was 4-of-6 from the line. Baylor struggled from behind the arc hitting just one of its 11 attempts.
- Baylor women want to finish 2017 at Final Four in Dallas Mar 29
- Oregon St to women's Final Four after 60-57 win over Baylor Mar 29
- Oregon St.-Baylor Preview Mar 27
- Elite Eight not enough for Baylor women vs Oregon State Mar 27
- Baylor women in 3rd straight Elite 8 with 78-58 win over FSU Mar 26
- Florida St.-Baylor Preview Mar 25
- Baylor women in usual place; Seminoles are stepping up Mar 25
- Baylor women to 8th straight Sweet 16, beat Auburn 84-52 Mar 20
- Auburn-Baylor Preview Mar 19
- Baylor women have old score to settle at home vs. Auburn Mar 19
- Top-seeded Baylor women roll 89-59 over Idaho to NCAA opener Mar 18
- Idaho-Baylor Preview Mar 17