No. 6 Buckeyes rout Western Illinois 99-38Dec 23, 2009 - 12:46 AM COLUMBUS, Ohio(AP) -- Ohio State looks primed to begin its Big Ten schedule.
Samantha Prahalis scored 22 points, Jantel Lavender added 20 despite sitting the last 11 minutes, and No. 6 Ohio State ended its nonconference schedule with a 99-38 win over Western Illinois on Tuesday.
Illinois native Brittany Johnson made 4 of 5 3-point attempts and added 14 points for the Buckeyes (13-1), who resume Big Ten play Monday at Illinois seeking their sixth straight league title.
"Everybody understands how tough the Big Ten can be," Lavender said. "We prepared well in the preseason. I think we're ready."
Erica Lewis had 11 points for Western Illinois (4-8), which plays its final non-Summit League game Monday at Oklahoma State.
"Anytime you play a team the caliber of Ohio State and still accomplish some team goals that you have set for each game that says a lot about the dedication your own team has," Leathernecks coach Leslie Crane said. "One of (the goals) was definitely to score more points than one of our conference teams did when they came in here earlier. That was a big one."
Ohio State led 46-15 at the half with Prahalis (12) and Lavender (10) combining to outscore the Leathernecks, who committed 17 of their 25 turnovers before the break.
"We said we were going to come out ferocious on defense," Lavender said. "We played extremely hard from the beginning."
Ohio State went on a 24-4 run in the first six minutes of the second half for a 70-19 lead with Lavender scoring 10 and Prahalis eight. They departed with the Buckeyes ahead 75-21.
OSU, fourth nationally at 84.1 points per game, reached a season-high 94 on a 3-pointer by Maria Moeller with 2:50 to play. But the Buckeyes didn't try to break 100, holding the ball for the final 10.8 seconds.
"We worked on forcing the tempo and making them play a little faster," Ohio State coach Jim Foster said. "We have a team that likes to get after it."
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 38
OHIO ST (6) 99 FINAL
Dec 22 5:41 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
WESTRN ILLINOIS 15
OHIO ST (6) 46 HALFTIME
Dec 22 4:49 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- Banham, Minnesota upset No. 5 Ohio State, 90-88 Feb 24