Wright helps Virginia win Cavalier ClassicDec 30, 2009 - 3:03 AM CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Senior Monica Wright scored 19 points and had a career-best 10 steals to lead No. 23 Virginia to a 63-54 victory over Liberty in the title game of the Marriott Cavalier Classic on Tuesday night.
The 10 steals matched the school record set by Donna Holt in 1986 and equaled by Dawn Staley in 1991.
Wright moved into a tie for second place on Virginia's all-time scoring list, and now has 2,058 points for her career to tie Heather Burge. The senior guard is 78 behind Staley, who had 2,135 points in her carreer at Virgnia.
Wright made 7 of 16 shots from the field and helped the Cavaliers (9-3) outscore the Lady Flames 35-14 on points off turnovers.
Avery Warley scored 12 points to pace Liberty (7-3), which managed committed 30 turnovers and had only seven assists.
The Lady Flames took a 43-42 lead on a lay up by Worley with 12:17 left in the game, but Virginia used a 17-5 run that included seven points from Telia McCall to pull away. She finished with 14 points.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
VIRGINIA (23) 63 FINAL
Dec 29 8:50 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
VIRGINIA (23) 33 HALFTIME
Dec 29 7:50 PM
- UNC Asheville women beat Liberty in Big South championship Mar 13
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- No. 11 Louisville women pull away from Virginia 74-59 Feb 18
- Thomas leads No. 15 Florida State women past Virginia 70-48 Jan 21
- No. 23 Louisville women beat Virginia 59-41 Jan 14
- Turner leads No. 3 Notre Dame women past Virginia, 74-46 Jan 7
- Virginia women defeat No. 22 Miami 76-56 Jan 3
- No. 9 Ohio State women beat Virginia 93-73 Dec 21
- No. 13 Duke women beat Liberty 79-41 Dec 17
- Cowling, No. 16 Cal women escape, 77-72 over Liberty Nov 28
- Mitchell leads No. 11 Ohio State to 75-65 defeat of Liberty Nov 27
- Tar Heels get past Liberty on their home floor Mar 21