Late three-pointer lifts Georgia Tech over UNCJan 7, 2011 - 3:35 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Metra Walthour's three-pointer with 25 seconds to play lifted Georgia Tech to a 71-70 victory over eighth-ranked North Carolina in the ACC opener for both teams.
Walthour ended with 12 points while Tyaunna Marshall led all scorers with 24 points for streaking Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-0 ACC), which has won 10 straight games and in the process handed the Tar Heels their first loss of the season. Alex Montgomery posted 13 points with 9 rebounds and Sasha Goodlett added 11 points in the win.
Italee Lucas netted 21 points for North Carolina (14-1, 0-1), which held a seven-point lead with 90 seconds remaining but failed to hold on. Jessica Breland ended with 15 points and Waltiea Rolle scored 12 in the losing effort.
With just over a minute to go, a three-pointer by Marshall brought Georgia Tech within four, 70-66, and Deja Foster's layup soon after cut the Yellow Jackets' deficit to two. A UNC turnover led to Walthour's winning triple before the Tar Heels missed a pair of jumper attempts in the final seconds.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 70
GEORGIA TECH: 71
Jan 6 9:08 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 34
GEORGIA TECH: 33
Jan 6 7:59 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 6 7:06 PM
- No. 7 Louisville women beat Georgia Tech 60-50 in ACC Mar 4
- Georgia Tech women edge Wake Forest 67-65 in ACC Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- No. 19 Miami women hold off Georgia Tech 58-55 Feb 11
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- Hatchell to sit 2 games for referee contact, NCAA violation Jan 29
- Turner, Allen lead No. 3 Notre Dame past Georgia Tech Jan 28
- No. 21 Miami women beat UNC 76-61 for Katie Meier's 200th Jan 17
- No. 19 Florida State women hold on against Georgia Tech Jan 10
- Ogunbowale scores 16, No. 3 Notre Dame beats UNC 88-54 Jan 10
- Cable leads No. 3 Notre Dame for McGraw's at 799th win Dec 30