Keane's buzzer-beater lifts MSU over IowaJan 14, 2011 - 1:59 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Kalisha Keane sank a three-pointer at the buzzer, lifting No. 9 Michigan State to a dramatic 63-60 victory over 16th- ranked Iowa at Breslin Center.
Keane finished with 16 points for the Spartans (16-1, 4-0 Big Ten), who have won 14 consecutive games since losing at No. 1 Baylor on November 19. Lykendra Johnson added 11 points and nine boards in the triumph.
Jaime Printy led all scorers with 23 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Hawkeyes (14-4, 2-3), who had won their last two. Kamille Wahlin provided 17 points in the setback.
Michigan State held a 30-28 lead after a back-and-forth first half.
The Spartans played in front for most of the second half, and Keane's jumper with 3:54 left made it a 57-48 game. It was Michigan State's largest lead of the contest, but Iowa quickly followed with a Morgan Johnson layup and Wahlin jumper to stay close.
The Hawkeyes still faced an eight-point deficit with under two minutes left, but rallied to draw even. After Kelly Krei drained a three with 1:16 on the clock, Michigan State missed two shots and turned the ball over. That allowed Iowa to get within 60-57 on Kachine Alexander's foul shots with 29 ticks left.
Iowa then quickly fouled Cetera Washington, who missed a free throw to give the ball back to the Hawkeyes, and Wahlin drilled the game-tying trey with 10 seconds to go.
But that was enough time for Keane to save the Spartans, as she hit the game- winner with time running out. Michigan State had been 2-for-15 from beyond the arc to that point.
- IOWA: 60
MICHIGAN STATE: 63
Jan 13 8:23 PM
- IOWA: 28
MICHIGAN STATE: 30
Jan 13 7:15 PM
- IOWA: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 13 6:37 PM
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Belmont-Michigan St. Preview Mar 17
- Michigan State's star insists she isn't thinking about WNBA Mar 16
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Powers leads No. 19 Michigan St. women past Purdue 65-64 Mar 4
- No. 5 Maryland pulls away from Iowa 75-55 in Big Ten tourney Mar 4
- Iowa women race past Michigan in Big Ten second round Mar 3
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27
- No. 20 Michigan State women use big 4th to top Illinois Feb 24