Morris, UCLA hold off CaliforniaJan 23, 2011 - 12:42 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Darxia Morris scored a career-high 22 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists, as the eighth-ranked UCLA Bruins held off the California Golden Bears, 65-56.
Atonye Nyingifa added 14 points and seven boards for the Bruins (16-2, 6-1 Pac-10), who are off to their best start since the 1980-81 squad went 18-2.
DeNesha Stallworth finished with 22 points and eight rebounds for the Golden Bears (11-7, 3-4), who fell to 9-2 at home this season.
Trailing by 10, 60-50, with under 2 1/2 minutes to play, Cal ripped off six straight points to make things interesting. Eliza Pierre's layup with 58 seconds remaining made it 60-56.
Nyingifa made four free throws around Layshia Clarendon's missed three-pointer to seal the victory.
- Texas comes from behind to beat UCLA 72-64 in Bridgeport Mar 26
- UCLA-Texas Preview Mar 25
- UCLA and Texas play in Bridgeport's "other" semifinal Mar 25
- Jordin Canada leads UCLA into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- South Florida-UCLA Preview Mar 20
- Guards highlight UCLA-South Florida in NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Fields leads UCLA past Hawaii in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Hawaii-UCLA Preview Mar 18
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- Billings leads No. 12 UCLA past Arizona 72-51. Mar 4
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3