Stanford overcomes slow start to down ASUFeb 4, 2011 - 4:28 AM Tempe, AZ (Sports Network) - Jeanette Pohlen scored 19 points while Kayla Pedersen provided 15 points, 10 rebounds and six assists to power No. 4 Stanford to a 72-54 win over Arizona State.
The Ogwumike sisters, Nnemkadi and Chiney, combined for 25 points and 14 boards for the Cardinal (19-2, 10-0 Pac-10), who have won 13 in a row since suffering back-to-back losses to DePaul and Tennessee in mid-December.
Stanford has won 47 consecutive conference games (including the postseason tournament) and can match its own Pac-10 record, set between February 9, 1995 and January 12, 1998, with a victory Saturday at Arizona.
Kimberly Brandon totaled 18 points and five rebounds and was the only player to reach double figures in scoring for the Sun Devils (13-7, 5-5), who have alternated losses and wins in their last seven games.
Stanford claimed the first meeting between the teams, 82-35, on January 8 and has won 11 straight over the Sun Devils.
The visitors held a 32-27 lead at the half and stretched it to 48-35 with 11 1/2 minutes to go on consecutive buckets by Nnemkadi Ogwumike and a Sarah Boothe layup.
Arizona State never got closer than nine the rest of the way as the Cardinal used their size to dominate inside, outscoring the hosts, 34-18, in the paint.
Nnemkadi Ogwumike finished with 17 points and three rebounds while Chiney scored eight points and pulled down 11 boards.
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19