No. 13 UNC edges No. 5 Duke in Chapel HillFeb 8, 2011 - 3:00 AM Duke, 62-60, at Carmichael Arena.
Italee Lucas finished with a team-high 17 points while Tierra Ruffin-Pratt and Waltiea Rolle both finished with 10 points for the Tar Heels (21-3, 7-2 ACC), which have won four straight. Cetera DeGraffenreid and Jessica Breland both supplied seven points for UNC, which is now 14-1 at home this season.
Gray scored a game-high 20 for Duke (21-2, 7-1), which have dropped back-to- back road contests and two of three overall. Jasmine Thomas added 18 points and five assists while Allison Vernerey scored 13 in a reserve role for the Blue Devils.
With Duke leading 56-54 with 3:28 remaining, Rolle connected on a fastbreak jumper and a three-point conversion on the next possession to give the Tar Heels the lead. After a Duke turnover, Breland was sent to the line, making the shot, and added a jumper on the next trip to put UNC up 60-56.
Thomas then made 1-of-2 from the line to make it a one-possession game, but Lucas hit another jumper with 1:34 remaining to put the Tar Heels up five.
Thomas connected on a three-pointer with 38 ticks remaining to keep the game close, but Gray's jumper was blocked by Rolle in the final second to seal the victory.
Lucas paced the Tar Heels with seven points in the first half as North Carolina held a 27-26 lead at the break. Vernerey scored eight and both Thomas and Gray added seven for Duke.
- DUKE: 60
NORTH CAROLINA: 62
Feb 7 9:01 PM
- DUKE: 26
NORTH CAROLINA: 27
Feb 7 7:54 PM
- DUKE: 0
NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 7 7:09 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Pitt beats UNC 82-72 in ACC women's tournament Mar 2
- Bulgak powers No. 10 Florida State women to win over UNC Feb 14
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 13 Louisville women overtake North Carolina 78-60 Feb 4
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1