Ohio State upends Michigan StateFeb 25, 2011 - 2:01 AM East Lansing, MI (Sports Network) - Jantel Lavender pumped in a game-high 24 points and pulled down nine rebounds to lead Ohio State to a 54-53 win over 10th-ranked Michigan State at the Breslin Center.
Samantha Prahalis added nine points and seven boards while Ashley Adams chipped in with nine points for the Buckeyes (18-9, 9-6 Big Ten), who have won five in a row.
LyKendra Johnson provided 16 points and 17 caroms and was the only player in double-figure scoring for the Spartans (24-4, 12-3), who had a six-game win streak snapped and were denied the opportunity to clinch the outright conference title.
The teams were tied seven times in the first half that ended with Ohio State holding a 30-26 advantage.
A layup by Prahalis put the visitors ahead 52-48 with 8 1/2 minutes to go in the game before the Spartans tied it at 53 on a Kalisha Keane layup with three minutes to go.
Lavender then hit the second of two foul shots with 1:50 to play to snap the 14th and final tie of the game and account for the final margin.
Michigan State missed three potential go-ahead shots in the final 98 seconds.
- OHIO STATE: 54
MICHIGAN STATE: 53
Feb 24 8:25 PM
- OHIO STATE: 30
MICHIGAN STATE: 26
Feb 24 7:17 PM
- OHIO STATE: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 6:32 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- No. 5 Mississippi St beats No. 4 Michigan State 74-72 Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Michigan St.-Mississippi St. Preview Mar 19
- Michigan State's offense to get a test vs. Mississippi State Mar 19
- Michigan State pulls away to beat Belmont 74-60 Mar 18
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17