UConn holds off GeorgetownFeb 26, 2011 - 11:09 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Maya Moore finished with 20 points, eight rebounds and five assists, as top-ranked Connecticut clinched the top seed for the upcoming Big East Tournament with a 52-42 victory against No. 18 Georgetown at McDonough Arena.
Tiffany Hayes added nine points and seven rebounds for the Huskies (28-1, 15-0 Big East), who extended their winning streak to 16 games. They have one regular season game left -- Monday against Syracuse -- before the conference tourney begins next weekend.
Kelly Faris also scored nine for Connecticut, which used only six players and struggled against the Hoyas' defense. The Huskies never trailed, but shot 38 percent and turned the ball over 26 times.
However, Georgetown (21-8, 9-6) scored only 20 points off those turnovers and shot 26 percent. Sugar Rodgers had 16 points as the Hoyas lost for the third time in four games.
- CONNECTICUT: 52
Feb 26 5:05 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
Feb 26 3:59 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 26 3:11 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2