Buckeyes beat back Knights in tourney openerMar 19, 2011 - 11:05 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jantel Lavender posted game highs of 30 points and 11 rebounds as she led the Ohio State Buckeyes to the 80-69 win over the UCF Knights in first-round play in the Dayton Region of the NCAA Tournament at St. John Arena.
Lavender, who registered her 75th career double-double on the afternoon, finished 13-of-22 from the floor for the fourth-seeded Buckeyes (23-9). Also posting a double-double in the outing was Samantha Prahalis with 19 points and a game-high 10 assists, while Brittany Johnson accounted for 14 points on 3- of-5 shooting behind the three-point line.
The 13th-seeded Knights (22-11) were paced by D'Nay Daniels and Ashia Kelly who both dropped in 16 points, the former clearing a team-best 10 rebounds as well. Chelsie Wiley tacked on 11 points.
UCF took a three-point lead early in the first half, but the squad shot only 36.4 percent from the floor in the period and ended up trailing at the break by a 43-33 margin.
In the second half the Buckeyes kept their distance by connecting on 53.6 percent from the floor, en route to the 11-point triumph.
Ohio State outscored the visitors in the paint by a 46-28 margin which helped the group to overcome just 3-of-11 shooting behind the three-point line.
OSU advances to the second round on Monday and will clash with Georgia Tech which defeated Bowling Green on Saturday afternoon.
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 69
OHIO STATE: 80
Mar 19 3:35 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 33
OHIO STATE: 43
Mar 19 2:31 PM
- CENTRAL FLORIDA: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 1:50 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- UCF fires women's basketball coach Joi Williams Mar 7
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- No. 20 Michigan St outlasts No. 5 Ohio St 107-105 in 3 OTs Feb 27