DePaul wins close battle to move into Sweet 16Mar 22, 2011 - 3:03 AM University Park, PA (Sports Network) - Keisha Hampton connected on two of three free throw attempts with 4.9 seconds remaining in regulation to give the third-seeded DePaul Blue Demons a 75-73 victory over the sixth-seeded Penn State Lady Lions in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Hampton finished with a team-high 26 points for DePaul (29-6), which will now take on Duke in the Sweet 16. Felicia Chester added 16 points, while Anna Martin finished with 10 points.
Alex Bentley registered 21 points for Penn State (25-10), while Julia Trogele posted a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds. Nikki Greene chipped in 12 points in the loss.
Penn State went into the break with a 38-29 lead after holding DePaul to a weak 27.8 percent shooting effort in the first half.
However, the Blue Demons stormed back behind a 51.5 percent showing from the field, which included a 5-of-9 clip from long range. Even with its improvement offensively, DePaul still needed the late heroics of Hampton to grab the win.
DePaul scored 23 points off 17 Penn State turnovers.
- PENN STATE: 73
Mar 21 9:14 PM
- PENN STATE: 38
Mar 21 7:59 PM
- PENN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 7:11 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27