Duke punches ticket to the Sweet 16Mar 22, 2011 - 2:27 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas scored 17 points to lead the Duke Blue Devils to a 71-66 victory over the Marist Red Foxes in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Cameroon Indoor Stadium.
Chelsea Gray added 13 points for the second-seeded Blue Devils (31-3), who will now take on DePaul in the Round of 16. Haley Peters contributed 12 points, while Karima Christmas and Krystal Thomas finished with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Marist (31-3), which was playing as the 10th seed, was led by Corielle Yarde's double-double of 25 points and 12 rebounds, and the team also received 14 points from Kate Oliver.
Marist held Duke to a woeful 32.4 percent shooting effort in the first half and went into the break with a 31-26 lead.
However, the Blue Devils fought back thanks to a 55.2 percent shooting effort over the final 20 minutes of action.
Duke scored 28 points off of 20 Marist turnovers, and the Blue Devils also received 29 points from their bench players.
The loss snapped Marist's 27-game winning streak, which was the largest in the nation.
- MARIST: 66
Mar 21 9:08 PM
- MARIST: 31
Mar 21 8:00 PM
- MARIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 7:16 PM
- Duke: Investigation over, McCallie to remain women's coach May 8
- Duke women's basketball adds transfer from Wagner May 3
- Duke: Human resources reviewing women's basketball program Apr 12
- Stevens, Salvadores leaving Duke women's basketball team Apr 1
- No. 2 Notre Dame women beat Duke 83-54 in ACC quarterfinals Mar 4
- Chidom helps Duke women edge Virginia 57-53 Mar 3
- Thomas, No. 10 Florida State women beat Duke 69-53 Feb 11
- No. 16 Miami women build early lead in beating Duke 61-53 Feb 7
- No. 3 Notre Dame women beat Duke 68-61 Feb 1
- No. 22 Duke women beat Boston College 71-51 Jan 17
- North Carolina State beats No. 22 Duke women in Durham 65-62 Jan 15
- Defense dominates as Louisville women whip No. 18 Duke 65-48 Jan 10