Connecticut advances to Sweet 16Mar 23, 2011 - 2:08 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Tiffany Hayes scored 23 points to lead the top- seeded Connecticut Huskies past the ninth-seeded Purdue Boilermakers, 64-40, in a second round matchup of the NCAA Tournament from Gampel Pavilion.
Maya Moore recorded a double-double of 16 points and 13 boards for the Huskies (34-1), who advanced to face fifth-seeded Georgetown. Stefanie Dolson also posted a double-double with 11 points and 10 boards and Bria Hartley added 10 points.
Drey Mingo paced the Boilermakers (21-12) with nine points.
Connecticut used a stifling defensive effort to take a 28-13 lead into the break, holding Purdue to just 20 percent shooting over the first 20 minutes of play.
The Huskies then knocked down 4-of-10 three-pointers and 6-of-7 free throws over the final 20 minutes of action to seal the win.
Connecticut advanced to the regional semifinals for the 18th consecutive season, the longest active streak in the country.
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2