Spani, balanced attack pace Lady Vols past MiamiNov 16, 2011 - 2:07 AM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Taber Spani scored 20 points and Meighan Simmons added 18, as third-ranked Tennessee used a big second half to down seventh-ranked Miami, 92-76, at Thompson-Boiling Arena.
Five Volunteers (2-0) reached double figures, including Glory Johnson with 16 points and nine rebounds, Shekinna Stricklen with 15 points and seven rebounds and Ariel Massengale with 11 points.
Spani's three-pointer at the shot clock buzzer triggered an 11-0 burst in the second half that helped the Volunteers break open a tight game. Tennessee made 51.5 percent of its shots in the second half, and used 11 three-pointers, including four from Spani, to seize control.
Riquna Williams led Miami (1-1) with 24 points, six assists and four rebounds, while Shenise Johnson added 17 points and nine rebounds. Miami missed all nine of its three-point attempts in the second half.
The Hurricanes turned the basketball over 21 times, which lead to 23 Tennessee points, many of those in the second half as the Volunteers built an advantage that grew to as many as 19 points.
- MIAMI: 76
Nov 15 8:07 PM
- MIAMI: 42
Nov 15 6:51 PM
- MIAMI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 6:05 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21