Connecticut hammers defending champion Texas A&MDec 7, 2011 - 2:42 AM Connecticut showed why women's college basketball still revolves around the Huskies.
Tiffany Hayes totaled 14 points and seven assists to highlight six Huskies in double figures, as No. 2 UConn rolled over the eighth-seeded Aggies, 81-51.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis also scored 14 points, while Kelly Faris and Bria Hartley netted 13 apiece in the rout, which improved the Huskies (8-0) to 24-2 against top-10 teams since the start of the 2008-09 season.
Tyra White was Texas A&M's only double-digit scorer with 14.
The Aggies (6-2), who fell from fourth in the rankings to eighth after losing at Purdue on Sunday, committed 20 turnovers and shot just 32 percent from the field, their struggles personified by Sydney Carter connecting on just 1- for-12 from the field.
The Huskies never trailed, jumping out to a 12-5 lead on Hartley's layup 3 1/2 minutes in. A Caroline Doty three-pointer pushed the margin to 25-11 with just over eight minutes left in the half, which ended with the hosts holding a 36-24 advantage.
The second half was a double-digit affair the rest of the way, thanks in part to the Huskies shooting 57 percent from the field.
- TEXAS A&M: 51
Dec 6 8:55 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 24
Dec 6 7:52 PM
- TEXAS A&M: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 6 7:04 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2