Lady Vols use big second-half flurry to bury GeorgiaJan 6, 2012 - 2:43 AM
Ariel Massengale added 19 points and dished out nine assists, while Shekinna Stricklen posted 12 points and eight rebounds for Tennessee (11-3, 2-0 SEC), which won its fourth straight game. Meighan Simmons added 10 points in the win.
Meredith Mitchell paced Georgia (12-3, 1-1) with 14 points in defeat.
Tennessee blew open a single-digit game with a 32-9 scoring stretch that included impressive work on the glass. The Lady Vols outrebounded Georgia, 52-32, on the game.
The lead grew to 68-42 on Johnson's three-point play, and Cierra Burdick's board and bucket opened a 31-point edge, 76-45. The rout was on from there, as Tennessee held Georgia to 34.9 percent shooting and held a 15-to-1 advantage in free throws made over the final 20 minutes.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Guard Taja Cole transferring from Louisville to Georgia May 17
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Lady Vols reach Sweet 16 after disappointing regular season Mar 23