Wildcats hold on, down Lady VolsJan 13, 2012 - 4:09 AM
A'dia Mathies played the game of her life, scoring 34 points with nine rebounds and draining the game-winning bucket with 4.2 seconds to play, as ninth-ranked Kentucky stunned sixth-ranked Tennessee, 61-60.
Mathies scored the final four points, first converting off her own miss with 46 ticks to play then finding her way into the lane and burying a 7-foot floater in traffic for the lead. Tennessee's Kamiko Williams almost drove the distance of the floor, but settled for a tough 16-footer that didn't fall as time expired.
The Lady Vols tried their best to keep the long streak alive, storming back from 12 down with under eight minutes to play, but dropped their first SEC game since a setback at Georgia on January 21, 2010.
Keyla Snowden helped out Mathies with 11 points, and the Wildcats (15-2, 4-0 SEC) held on despite shooting just 34.5 percent for the game. They held the Lady Vols to 38 percent shooting in the victory.
Kentucky has won its first four conference games for the first time in school history.
Glory Johnson paced Tennessee (12-4, 3-1) with 17 points and seven rebounds, Vicki Baugh added 16 points and nine rebounds and Shekinna Stricklen donated 11 points in defeat.
- TENNESSEE: 60
Jan 12 9:09 PM
- TENNESSEE: 21
Jan 12 7:55 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 7:15 PM
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Kentucky's Mitchell dispels notion of scandal in open letter May 13
- Jennings becomes seventh player to transfer from Kentucky May 4
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Kentucky's mass exit: 6 players have left program since fall Apr 27
- Kentucky grants forward Batouly Camara release from program Apr 25
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26