No. 3 Connecticut thumps SyracuseJan 26, 2012 - 2:44 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Tiffany Hayes drained six three-pointers en route to a career-high 35 points and ripped down seven rebounds as third- ranked Connecticut blew past Syracuse, 95-54 on Wednesday.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis finished with 19 points and eight rebounds, while Bria Hartley had 18 points and seven assists for the Huskies (18-2, 7-1 Big East) who have won six straight since dropping a 74-67 overtime decision to Notre Dame on January 7.
Iasia Hemingway paced the Orange (13-8, 2-5) with 15 points to go with six rebounds and five assists, while Carmen Tyson-Thomas chipped in with 11 points and five rebounds. Syracuse has lost three of its last four games.
Leading 40-33 after the first 20 minutes, UConn came out on fire in the second half, ripping off a 25-7 run to take a comfortable 65-40 lead with 12 1/2 minutes to play.
Tyson-Thomas drained a three-pointer to finally stop the run and make it 65-43, but the Huskies came back with another run, this one of the 10-2 variety to give UConn a 75-45 lead with 10 minutes to play.
Syracuse never threatened the rest of the way and the Huskies finished the second half outscoring the Orange 55-21 to roll to the easy victory.
The game remained close early before Syracuse built an 18-11 advantage with less than 14 minutes to play in the opening half.
UConn responded with a 9-0 run, capped by a Hayes layup, to take a 20-18 lead with under 12 minutes to play in the first half.
With the game tied at 24, UConn ripped off a quick 6-0 spurt to build up a 30-24 edge.
A layup by Hayes gave the Huskies their largest lead of the half at 40-28, and they led 40-33 at the break.
- CONNECTICUT: 95
Jan 25 9:09 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 40
Jan 25 7:56 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 25 7:17 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4